In this unit, students will discuss the importance of writing messages to people they care about. While letter writing contains the same action of writing as any other form of writing, its structure is very distinct. Students learn the five parts of a friendly letter and experiment writing to various people using this structure.
- identify the 5 parts of a friendly letter (heading, greeting, body, closing, signature)
- know which part is used for what purpose
- explain what kind of messages are suitable for a friendly letter
- write letters to different people by using the format of a friendly letter (friend, reading buddy, parents, Santa Claus)
- learn about different kinds of friendly letters including invitation cards and thank you letters