Small Moment - Personal Narratives -
In this unit, students explore writing personal narratives. Personal narratives are stories about the special experiences that occured to the writers in their lives. Effective personal narratives often describe a narrowed topic in detail. This writing unit focuses on choosing a "small moment" and stretching it out to create a story that makes a good movie in the readers' minds.
- know and understand how to "zoom in" to a topic and write about it
- make a movie in their mind to refresh their memory
- break down that small moment into small scenes and write in detail
- learn about watermelon idea and then break it down to seed idea
- choose one seed idea to make a small moment story
- create a story that has a clear beginning, middle and end